MTV spokesman Jake Urbanski told the publication that compensation would include "free VMA tickets to dozens of worthy, local organizations benefiting youth, students and the arts"--those those groups don't necessarily represent locals.
Neighbors yesterday circulated further information that has surfaced, including:
- Construction of a set and bleachers outdoors near the Dean Street and 6th Avenue intersection will take place days prior to the event. Work may take place at night.
- Hundreds of people are being cast to welcome celebrities as they travel down the red carpet primarily on 6th Avenue, but also on Dean Street. The HPD parking lot and possibly Dean Playground will be used to marshal these people.
- The Dean Street side of Dean Playground will be temporarily closed.
- Dean Street from Carlton to Vanderbilt may not be restricted after all.
- Fans without tickets are expected to collect in areas where they anticipate views of the celebrities. These fans will be penned directly outside the restricted areas at the same time thousands of arena patrons are arriving to attend the event.
They've also posed a series of questions to agencies involved and MTV, including:
- Has the red carpet been placed on Dean Street and 6th Avenue as a security requirement, or because the location is MTV’s preference?
- Although the event has been in planning for a year, there was no notice to the community until after the community boards closed for the summer. Will the Mayor’s Office and the arena agree to reach out in a timely way to the relevant community boards while they are in session before each event of this type in the future?
- How many people are being hired to be in front of the cameras on Dean Street and 6th Avenue and what will their behavior be? How will they be managed during the production? Will they be loud?
- How many production trucks are anticipated to be on site at the time of the event and where will they be located?
- Where are limos going to pick-up and discharge passengers? What are the routes to and from the “off-site” location they are anticipated to be located during the event? Where is that “off-site” location?
- Will the arena agree to pay for additional enforcement to ensure that illegal parking is not tolerated?
- If fans arrive early, where will they be directed to wait?
- Closing 6th Avenue for 3 days appears to be the most consequential single closure. What is the detour? Is the goal for the detour to route traffic down arterial streets instead of residential streets? Will there be signs and traffic agents?
- Which nights will outdoor construction take place and how late will it run? Will you agree to restrict work hours outdoors to specific times or limit the number of days it will take place?
- Please explain the procedure to pass through security and visit a friend’s home inside. What times are the restrictions to be in place?