The latest two-week Atlantic Yards Construction Alert, dated 1/16/12, was distributed yesterday by Empire State Development (after preparation by developer Forest City Ratner).
Notably, it contains no mention of the temporary shutdown of the arena facade contractor, ASI Limited, or any analysis of how that might affect facade work. It contains the same language as in the previous alert:
Façade InstallationLate-shift work
• The façade erector will continue the installation of erection clips and panels on the Flatbush Avenue elevation and along the west elevations during this reporting period. The installation of curtain wall and curtain wall/lattice panels will continue on the Flatbush Avenue elevation during this reporting period. In the interest of public safety, and as approved by the New York City Building Department,
pedestrians using the east side sidewalk of Flatbush Avenue next to the arena may be temporarily diverted to across the street by Hunt flagmen during high level work. The façade erector will continue with installation of erection clips along the 6th Avenue elevation this reporting period. Installation of the erection clips will continue on the Dean Street elevation during this reporting period.
• The façade subcontractor will continue to work a second shift as needed throughout this reporting period. Work may be performed on the Flatbush Avenue and 6th Avenue elevations on this shift.
• The installation of façade panels at the street level and at the Upper Concourse levels on Atlantic Avenue has been substantially completed. Contractor will return to install the façade panels at the uppermost elevation and in the area of the material hoist at a later date.
As in the previous alert, there will be double-shift and weekend work at the Long Island Rail Road/Vanderbilt Yard/ Carlton Avenue Bridge:
- All weekdays all locations in the yard: 6:00AM to 11:00PM
- Saturdays as required: 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Sundays and Holidays as required: 8:00AM to 11:00PM
And there may be late shift and overnight shift work at the arena site:
Subject to receipt of permits, a second shift shall be continued throughout this reportingperiod, from 3 – 11 PM, Monday-Friday only. Also subject to receipt of permits, a third shift may be instituted during this reporting period, from 11 PM – 7 AM, Monday –Friday only.Changes noted
The text below is excerpted from the latest document (bottom), with the bolded text indicating what's new compared to the previous alert.
Arena site: Excavation
• Excavation for the “C” line (which circles the basketball court and ice floor) and inner bowl footings that support the precast rakers for the lower bowl seating is expected to begin during this reporting period.Steel erection
Primary (truss) roof steel erection has been completed. Secondary roof framing will continue during this reporting period.Waterproofing & Fireproofing
Phase 1 of the permanent roofing has started and will continue throughout this reporting period as weather allows. The lower roofs temporary protection is substantially complete and the west elevation high roof installation (Denglass Board, Insulating Board, Vapor Barrier and Rubber Membrane) will continue.Mechanical, Electrical, & Plumbing
• The boiler is being piped and electrical service to the boiler is being installed during this reporting period. The initial boiler permit inspection has been performed. At the inspector’s direction, several small revisions are to be performed in time for a second boiler inspection. Revisions and inspections are to be performed during this reporting period so as to secure approval for the use for temporary heat during the week of 1/16/2012.Interior Build-out
ConEd has mobilized at the site and started the installation of the service provided by the utility. Permanent power is projected to be available during the late February/early March reporting periods.
Elevator and escalator installation will continue this reporting period. Some second shift work is expected to be required for elevator/escalator installation throughout this reporting period.
The installation of applied finishes is expected to start during this reporting period at the Event Level restrooms and showers.Subway entrance
Finish work and lighting will continue at the IRT southbound staircase in the next month.Concrete
Construction of the reinforced concrete staircase structure is substantially complete with steel treads and tiled risers to follow. The two new escalator trusses from the fare array area to the new plaza have been set and final assembly continues. The new elevator enclosure has also been erected and elevator installation continues. Elevator enclosure will now be installed.Waterproofing
• Waterproofing for the station is now substantially complete.Erection of Interior Walls
Masonry walls for the fire doors are now substantially complete and minor work at the BMT mezzanine will continue in January. Tile work will now commence with the station.Carlton Ave. Bridge
• MPT has been in place at Carlton Ave. and Pacific Street for work on the new south abutment. Excavation to the subgrade for the South Abutment foundation has been completed and the reinforced concrete footing poured. During this reporting period the contractor will continue to form and install rebar for the stem wall of the new South Abutment. In the event that noisy equipment (i.e. generators) is required to be used at street elevation for this work, then noise attenuation blanketing will be utilized.Traffic mitigation site work
Work related to the closure of the northbound lanes of 4th Avenue at Atlantic Avenue is essentially complete except for installation of two permanent poles and signage to replace temporary installations. The poles and signs are on order from DOT. Later next year [sic], the MTA will replace bollards in the area and install other improvements. Our contractor will return to the site to replace the area once the MTA work is complete. Work will be performed at night if lanes have to be taken out of service for access to the site.Arena site work
Installation of the underground drainage has commenced within the plaza area located at the tip of the site and is substantially complete. The balance of the drainage will be completed as the work at the tip of Atlantic and Flatbush is completed in the Spring and Summer. A temporary asphalt working surface has been placed throughout the plaza.AY Construction Alert 1-16-2012