Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

Another de Blasio legacy: ever-delayed response to FOIL requests

Thanks (former Mayor Bill), de Blasio.

Last week, I (and other reporters) received yet more announcements of extensions of time from the Mayor's Office to respond to pending Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) requests.

Most of mine concern Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park, of course. 

About 80 Flatbush

But one I filed in October 2018 regarded penalties for a delayed start regarding Phase 2 of the 80 Flatbush project nearby.

That's important, since it relates to the delivery of key public benefits, notably affordable housing, that led legislators to approve a spot rezoning. Nobody would tell me the penalties, as I wrote last May for Bklyner.

As I was writing the article, wondering about the penalties, I admonished myself: I should have filed a FOIL request. 

But I had! 

I just had forgotten, because I hadn't gotten a response.

Now, the mayor's office tells me, regarding that request:

You can expect a response on or about Wednesday, March 23, 2022.

Additional Information:

Due to the volume of requests that we have received, we now estimate that we will be able to provide you with a response on or before the above date.

I'm not holding my breath. 

About Atlantic Yards

One response I got was different:
The Mayor's Office (OOM) has closed your FOIL request [XXX] for the following reasons: 
Your request under the Freedom of Information Law has been fulfilled & the documents you requested have been emailed to you.
But they haven't.

Until and unless there is commitment to (and funding for, and oversight regarding) FOIL, it will be an afterthought, and of course deter scrutiny.

Comments