Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

From Planetizen: 10 Urban Planning Songs (plus two Atlantic Yards additions)

In 10 Urban Planning Songs, Planetizen's Abhijeet Chavan offers links, lyrics, and videos, including:
I can't think of a more concise criticism of planning decisions than these incisive lyrics from Joni Mitchell's 1970 hit Big Yellow Taxi:
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
In this live version she sings an extra verse:
Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow tractor
Came and took away my house, it took away my land


Some following Atlantic Yards may remember that Mitchell's song, performed by John Wesley Harding, was a hit at Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn's October 2006 walkathon.

More songs, two on Atlantic Yards

Chavan's list includes The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" and Billy Joel's "Allentown," while readers add such songs as The Jam's "The Planner's Dream Goes Wrong" and Jay-Z's and Alicia Keys's "Empire State of Mind."

In a comment, I suggested a couple of songs about the Atlantic Yards controversy, including "The Burrow," by John Pinamonti:
It makes me mad
and it's such a pity
they're trying to rename Brooklyn
Forest City


I also suggested "Brooklyn is Dying," by RebelMart:
If Freddy's [bar] goes down
Brooklyn is gone

Comments