Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

Bloomberg says he always "made decisions based on the merits." But Atlantic Yards was "Get it done no matter what."

Mayor Mike Bloomberg said today, in a valedictory, "In 13 days, I will walk out of office knowing that – whether you agreed or disagreed with me – I always made decisions based on the merits, and we always put the needs of future generations ahead of the demands of today’s special interest groups."

That may be true in many cases, but consider Bloomberg's posture toward Atlantic Yards, as described by developer Bruce Ratner in September 2012.

"As a matter of fact, I remember a day in 2003, in June, I went in to see the mayor to present our project, and he stood there, he looked at it"--Ratner waved his hand as if scanning the room--"he had all the deputies around, he just looked at it and he said, after a while"--Ratner waved decisively--"I want to get it done. And he used a certain extuperative [sic] and said, Get it done no matter what." 

(I think Ratner meant "expletive.")

Comments