Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

Applicants for 130% AMI middle-income units say they get invited to lease at several buildings, because they're hard to fill.

In recent years, as I wrote, there's been in an explosion of middle-income "affordable housing" aimed at those earning 130% of Area Median Income, with income caps in the six figures.

Some applicants to such middle-income units have been discussing their options on the City-Data forum for Plank Road (662 Pacific St., or B15), across Sixth Avenue from the Barclays Center.

One noted that she applied, since the "The one bedrooms are cheaper than my Alcove Studio in the Ashland but I'm defintely not moving for another studio apt even if it has in unit W/D."

Another wrote that "Studio rent is quite cheap for a 130% AMI, the market units don't look tiny and are all alcove. Even though I am good where I am close by, I threw my hat in, even if they charge for amenities."

Indeed, as I wrote (and as shown below), the studios at that building are notably inexpensive, especially compared to those at Brooklyn Crossing (18 Sixth Ave., or B4), which is catercorner.

Renters are coveted

Another, in a thread devoted to buildings with 130% AMI units, called called "this recent round of 130% AMI only buildings... seriously depressing."

Another wrote, "I fall in the lower range of the 130% AMI and I don't know how a $2,700 monthly rent would be considered 'affordable' for me! This isn't even including utilities or any extra fees for building amenities... Even the prices for the studios in most of the 130% lotteries are absolutely bonkers."

"I spoke to an agent of a building we turned down recently," the first poster added, "and he basically said every time he shows apartments for 130% AMI people tell him they’ve been called for 4 or 5 different buildings at the same time, because they are hard to fill."

Another added, "i first started applying to 100 AMI lotteries a few years ago, I was never chosen, not even to interview. Once I qualified for 130 AMI my options opened. One year I actually was invited to interview for 3 lotteries during same period."

The renter has a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment with a washer/dryer, paying a little over $3,000/month with amenities. "I agree, they are not that affordable but I decided to take it when I asked the leasing agent how long the affordability is in effect, she said a little over 30 years!" And they're rent-stabilized.

A lottery veteran

In another City-Data forum, one veteran of many middle-income lotteries wrote a long post reflecting on the experience of being chosen for--and then rejecting--13 (!) lotteries during peak pandemic times (Dec. 2020-Dec. 2021), when there were a lot of openings.

The poster noted that, "as with most 130 AMI, I could always afford reasonably priced market-rate apartments with my income (definitely not the most luxurious ones) but I mostly wanted to take advantage of staying in a rent-stabilized apartment."

The poster rejected the apartments mostly because they were too small, oddly-laid out, and thus not worth it, but in some cases because it was too expensive--yes, the rent levels vary significantly--or even the neighborhood.

An Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park mention:
April 2021. Mutual Housing NY. 461 Dean St. No Log - studio for $2023. Declined. I assume this was a Mini-Lottery for the middle-income rentals because I never applied. I requested an application many, many years ago but I don’t recall actually sending it in. I regret not at least going to see the building after submitting my docs, but I saw the virtual tour online and the studio was just too small. For the same price at the time, I could find a 1 bedroom market rate in a different neighborhood.
What's notable is how many of the buildings were small, with just a handful of units, but still had trouble finding takers. One report:
1 bedroom for $1800. Declined. When they contacted me they were super aggressive. Emails, calls, and text to submit docs. They also offered 2 months' free rent and a $3,500 “bonus gift card.” For all that incentive I could tell something was wrong and I was right because the layout of the apartment was very odd and small.
The poster was offered studios from $1,625 to $2,023 per month, and one-bedrooms from $1,750 to $2,427 per month.

The Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park buildings

As I've written, in practice, the income floor ranges significantly, because the developers don't want these income-targeted units to go unrented. 

Brooklyn Crossing, from NYC Housing Connect

Plank Road, from NYC Housing Connect


Comments