Skip to main content

Featured Post

Atlantic Yards/Pacific Park infographics: what's built/what's coming/what's missing, who's responsible, + project FAQ/timeline (pinned post)

From Atlantic Yards Watch: "Mayor Bloomberg, I take sleeping pills in an effort to sleep through disruptions."

Empire State Development CEO Kenneth Adams sounds concerned about getting community input regarding Atlantic Yards, but he really has much more urgent issues on his agenda, ones that were touched on but not fully explored during his May 2 community meeting.

Atlantic Yards Watch has posted an open letter to Mayor Mike Bloomberg from a Carlton Avenue resident who lives near what is now the construction staging area for the project and will soon become a full block of surface parking--and likely will continue as a location for construction staging for decades.

This is the price, it seems of building an arena project that encroaches on a residential community. An excerpt:
Last night at 11:00 pm our entire apartment shook with a force equal to or greater than that of the earthquake that hit this area last summer. This morning tractors were buzzing around at 4:00 a.m. This has become the status quo and I’ve had enough. I’m not opposed to development, but I am most definitely opposed to disrupting the sleep and well being of a community.
I now go to bed at night dreading the inevitable wake ups. My wife and I take sleeping pills in an effort to sleep through the disruptions. We create white noise in the bedrooms to drown out the noise. My blood pressure has gone up in this time and my daughter wakes up crying.
My wife and I have lodged a dozen or so calls to 311, contacted the Atlantic Yards Project, called our Council Member, complained to one of the trucking companies, and logged complaints on a locally run website. Unfortunately, it’s a fruitless effort and I believe our only recourse may be incurring the expense and disruption of packing up my family and moving from a home and neighborhood that we love.
For more, go to Atlantic Yards Watch.

Comments