Notable is that railyard work will proceed on double shifts during the weekdays along with Saturdays and selected Sundays, all in the name of "overall schedule maintenance," aka "staying on time." The previous alert indicated extra work only on weekends.
Also, it seems quite possible that floodlights at the railyard will be illuminated until 11 pm for many months, through next summer, as "Yard Flood Lights will be turned on at 6am and from dusk to 11:00 pm, during double shifts through the completion of the Carlton Avenue Bridge replacement, as needed."
The bridge is supposed to be finished before the arena opens in August 2012, though no firm schedule has been announced.
The text below is excerpted from the latest document (bottom), with the bolded text indicating what's new compared to the previous alert.
Deliveries & Site Access
One of the two larger steel erection cranes inside the arena has been demobilized and replaced by a hydraulic crane set up on the 6th Avenue elevation between Pacific and Dean.Steel Erection and Stadia Installation
• A second shift was implemented on December 6th to demobilize one of the steel erection cranes. The need for a second shift crew will be re-evaluated throughout this period. Some weekday overtime may be needed and work on Saturdays will continue.Façade Installation
• Intumescent (fireproof) painting of the structural steel where required as an alternative to spray on fireproofing will continue on a second shift operation as needed and as weather allows during this reporting period.
The façade subcontractor will resume a second shift on December 19t and continue the second shift as needed throughout this reporting period. Work may be performed on the Flatbush Avenue and 6th Avenue elevation on this shift.
• The installation of façade panels at the street level and at the Upper Concourse levels on Atlantic Avenue has been substantially completed. Contractor will return to install the façade panels at the uppermost elevation during December and in the area of the material hoist at a later date.Waterproofing & Fireproofing
The waterproofing of the interior walls of the east storm water retention tank should resume this reporting period. This work may be performed on a second shift.Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing
The piping for the storm/sanitary/water services to the arena at 6th & Pacific has been cancelled for this reporting period, due to site constraints (access at the main gate). The Dean & Flatbush piping is has also been cancelled for this reporting period. The tie-ins for this piping will require work in the street. -- specifics of where will be provided at such time when the work resumes. A second and/or third shift is being considered to execute this work, as well as weekend work.Interior Build-Out
Precast concrete stadia erection of the upper seating bowl was completed during the last reporting period at Blocks 10-12 (Dean Street elevation). Precast erection will resume within the lower bowl seating area following completion of roof erection.Work outside the Fence
Permits have been secured for the portions of the street immediately adjacent to the “Tip” of the project area. The southern eastbound lane of Atlantic Avenue has now been taken behind an expanded MPT in order to facilitate the removal of the planking/decking to be removed and the installation of temporary roadway restoration. A pathway for the new water main has been coordinated with the utility team and will now been constructed. A substantial amount of the roadway plank has now been removed. This will now permit the next phase of the water main installation to take place which is scheduled for the beginning of the year. This expanded MPT, noted above, has been approved by DOT.Subway entrance
Track Outages (General Orders)
• IRT and BMT Tunnel inspections have taken place and the tunnel repair work is now substantially complete in both the IRT and BMT. Minor repair and cleanup work will occur on selective evenings under scheduled NYCT flagging protection.Railyard work
Drilling – Support of Excavation, & Tiebacks,Carlton Ave Bridge
• Drilling of tiebacks will continue at the east end of the yard (Block 1121). These tiebacks are drilled by a small rig, and are required at several elevations as excavation and lagging continue to the final depth of the yard sub-grade. Tieback drilling and placement of the attendant wood lagging will continue for the next month, as they go together with excavation. Posillico/Tully has started the forming of the foundations for the new car shop wall and the new east lead track wall. This work will be ongoing for the next few months.
• Posillico/Tully has commenced work to excavate the area of the car shop exterior wall location to set forms to install rebar and pour concrete for the new car shop wall foundation. Work will continue west to east in 200 foot sections until the foundation is completed. Upon completion of the foundation, work related to the forming and pouring of the wall will commence. All work is located within Block 1121 and will be ongoing for the next few months.Railyard Schedule Maintenance
• Due to the need to expedite all of this work for overall schedule maintenance, it will be progressed on double shifts during the weekdays along with Saturdays and selected Sundays& holidays.Yards Lights
• During the week, to facilitate early start and late finish of work, Yard Flood Lights will be turned on at 6am and from dusk to 11:00 pm, during double shifts through the completion of the Carlton Avenue Bridge replacement, as needed.Replacement of Adjacent Water Mains and other Utility Work
Stage One began in early August. The first work included the installation of a distribution water main along the sidewalk of Flatbush, north of Atlantic. The work is being done at night (10 pm to 6 am) and requires partial closure of the sidewalk and the curb lane of traffic during the work hours. The work will take two to three months in this location and then will move on southward and cross Flatbush. The bus stop at the west side of Flatbush, north of Pacific, has been removed by NYC DOT, per the approval of NYCTA. The trench for most of the work in the Flatbush sidewalk is completed and plated. The contractor will continue for the next 3 to 4 weeks. Steel pipe was installed, welded and partially backfilled along the northern part of the zone.
Anticipated Nighttime & Weekend Work
During this reporting period the following work will be performed either at night or during the weekend as noted. All work will be done pursuant to approved permits:
• Long Island Rail Road/Vanderbilt Yard/ Carlton Avenue Bridge:
o All weekdays days all locations in the yard: 6:00AM to 11:00PM
o Saturdays as required: 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM
o Sundays and Holidays as required: 8:00AM to 11:00PM
o The weekend work being performed could be in any area of the yard, and within MPT areas for which permits are on hand.
o The work hours will remain in place for a minimum of the next three months.
• Arena Site:
o Arena weekend work will be scheduled no later than close of business on the preceding Thursday, where make-up work due to weather or other delays makes it necessary. Saturday work is expected to continue for this reporting period.
o Subject to receipt of permits, a second shift shall be continued throughout this reporting period, from 3 – 11 PM, Monday-Friday only. Also subject to receipt of permits, a third shift may be instituted during this reporting period, from 11 PM – 7 AM, Monday –Friday only.
o Hunt has been granted a permit to allow for deliveries from 6 AM to 7 AM to the Arena site from the dispatch center. This work allows for an additional hour of deliveries to take place outside the neighborhood peak traffic patterns and reduce congestion and interference with the local traffic.
o The second shift arena contractors are noted within the arena summary above.
• NYC Transit Improvements:
o Temporary concrete road decking will now be removed as noted above. Such work will be performed at night per DOT regulations. Traffic will be restored every morning according to DOT stipulations.
Work related to the BMT structure and below grade concrete, steel and MEP work may be conducted on Saturdays December 10th and 17th, during this reporting period.
• Arena Site Work:
o Underground utility work may occur within the site at the main plaza. Work will be conducted during the hours of 8 A.M. to 4 P.M., subject to NYCDOB permits
Atlantic Yards Construction Alert 12-19-2011