This weekend, extended work at the Atlantic Yards site related to the removal of underground storage tanks
From the notice:
New Information: work related to the removal of the underground storage tanks from the former gasoline station as required by NYS-DEC will be conducted during this period. In order to excavate for these tanks, the soil pressure on the north and south SOE (”retaining walls”) within the rail yard needs to be equalized. This will be accomplished by drilling “Tie-Backs” (“soil anchors”) into the closed portion of Pacific St to restrain the south SOE wall, then removing the “Cross-Lot Braces” (30” diameter, 80 ft long pipes) that currently run over the tracks in the yard. Preparatory work is being done to whatever extent possible during normal work hours. The actual brace removal and tie-back work must be done on nights and weekends for the following reasons:Supplemental Atlantic Yards Construction Alert 7-18-2-11
All work will be done within the confines of the closed portion of Pacific St, within the former gasoline station property and within the rail yard itself. No work is anticipated in the public thoroughfare.
- A crane and Tie-Back rig must be mobilized within the closed portion of Pacific St. If done during the week, this would block truck traffic delivering necessary construction materials to the Arena on the approved truck route;
- The Cross-Lot Braces (quantity 4) must be removed safely when there are no LIRR trains on the storage tracks below;
- The Tie-Backs (quantity 4) must be drilled safely when there are no LIRR trains on the storage tracks below.
Work will take place during the following hours:
- Friday, July 29th 3:00 PM to 12:00 AM
- Saturday, July 30th, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Sunday, July 31st, 7:30 AM to 4:30 pm