Tuesday, March 10, 2015

With current season an "epic disaster" (as per beat reporter), Nets' Yormark said to be looking to summer 2016

The honeymoon is surely over. Consider this array of tweets yesterday from Daily News beat reporter Stefan Bondy (read from bottom up):
  • This season = epic disaster for Nets. Everything that could've gone wrong has indeed gone wrong, all based around trades of years past
  • Billy King gave Danny Ferry the right to swap 1st picks in 2015, and the Hawks have the best record in NBA.
  • They trade Jason Kidd to the Bucks, and he's a Coach of the Year candidate.
  • The Nets gave three first round picks to the Celtics, and the Celtics have a better record. The Nets have nobody from that trade.
  • Thus, epic disaster. And not a peep from Mikhail Prokhorov.
  • We were all worried about Brook Lopez's foot and Deron Williams ankles. They're healthy and the Nets are still 11 games under .500.
  • But don't worry, the Nets are gonna take over New York.
It should be noted that the departed ex-Celtics produced some trade value, such as the forward Thaddeus Young.

But it's clear the Nets gambled, and lost--and must feel lucky that the Knicks have had even more of a disaster.

As NetsDaily reported:
The Nets seem clueless as to why they're playing so poorly, despite knocking off two of the NBA's top teams two games in a row.
Indeed, the Nets are worse at home than on the road.

Wait til 2016?

Post beat reporter Tim Bontemps reports:
I had a lengthy conversation with Nets CEO Brett Yormark in which he expanded on his comments at the Sports Business Summit in New York last week that he sees an opportunity for the Nets to take a bigger cut of the city’s basketball fan population given the current struggles of the Knicks.
...On multiple occasions throughout our conversation, Yormark referenced the “summer of 2016” being “big for us.” He was careful not to mention anyone by name, but it is clear Yormark was referring to free agency that summer – when, assuming there is no “smoothing” of the massive influx of television money into the system, the Nets should have in excess of $60 million to chase Kevin Durant, among others.
The summer of 2016 is two seasons away. That implies that the 2015-16 season will be a holding pattern.

Of course mega-marketer Yormark has to point to something, and it's possible the Nets could lure a real superstar like Durant.

But let's not forget that the Nets may well have new ownership by then, and Yormark himself may be gone. That means another team CEO might be marketing his own plans.

Update: ESPN's Darren Rovell reports:
Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov has ended his agreement with investment bank Evercore Partners, who he hired to explore a sale of the team, banking sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
"Nothing has happened and they've been talking about it (in the media) for a year," Nets CEO Brett Yormark said last week on a panel in Manhattan. "So I'd probably say I don't think anything is going to happen. We have an ownership group that is very committed."
I still think Yormark's language leaves significant wiggle room.

No comments:

Post a Comment