From the latest Construction Alert: Forest City pays new attention to dust problem, but AY Watch shows that dirt pile is again left partly uncovered
Also notable in the report are additional signs of progress on the Carlton Avenue Bridge, though it's unclear where this fits into the down-to-the-wire schedule for the bridge, which must reopen and provide an important travel corridor before the arena opens.
Below are excerpts from the latest report. I've bolded the notable changes from the previous alert.
Steel Erection and Stadia Installation
• Primary (truss) roof steel erection has been completed. Secondary roof framing of the arena bowl structure is completed. Preparation to erect the main entry canopy steel will continue through this reporting period. The erection of the canopy steel framing will start during this reporting period. This activity didn’t start during the previous period as planned due to delay in securing TA permit to conduct soil borings in the shoring tower zone of influence on the TA tunnel.Roof decking installation of the arena bowl area is complete, except where there remains need to pass materials and equipment through the roof. The decking is scheduled to be completed during this reporting period.Façade Installation
• The installation of curtain wall and curtain wall/lattice panels will continue on the Flatbush Avenue elevation as needed, and then following the canopy steel erection. In the interest of public safety, and as approved by the New York City Building Department, pedestrians using the east side sidewalk of Flatbush Avenue next to the arena may be temporarily diverted to across the street by Hunt flagmen during high level work. The façade erector will continue with installation of panels along the 6th Avenue and Dean Street elevations during this reporting period installing the low and mid level panels.Waterproofing & Fireproofing
• The application of waterproofing to the interior foundation walls is complete.Mechanical, Electrical, & Plumbing
• The exterior tank roof waterproofing for the west tank will continue this reporting period. The installation of the pumps and the testing of the tanks are projected to start this reporting period.• Phase 1 of the permanent roofing will continue throughout this reporting period as weather allows. The lower roofs temporary protection is substantially complete and the west elevation high roof installation (Denglass Board, Insulating Board, Vapor Barrier and Rubber Membrane) will continue. The roofer will continue the phase 1 roofing at the east half of the arena high roof this reporting period. The phase 2 permanent roofing is scheduled to start on the west half of the arena roof this reporting period.
• Permanent power from ConEd is complete. The arena electrical subcontractor is now pulling cable and terminating the arena switchgear to the ConEd transformers and distribution boards.Rail Yard work/Drainage System
• Temporary electric power will remain in place to supplement finish trades power needs.
• The installation of the truck elevator service turntable begins this reporting period.
• The deep drainage piping in the yard installation has been completed.Carlton Ave. Bridge
• Construction of Pier #2 has been completed.
• The footing for the north abutment is completed and Posillico/Tully will continue to install rebar and form work to prepare for the first level of the stem wall. Upon completion of this first pour we will then remove the heel block and temporary bracing. Upon completion of this removal, work related to the forming of pier #1 will commence.Replacement of Adjacent Water Mains and other Utility Work
On behalf of the DEP, FCRC is managing the installation of a new water trunk main and associated distribution mains on Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues. The work is divided into three stages.Block 1129 (Carlton, Dean, Vanderbilt, Pacific) – Construction Staging
o Stage One is the work on the west side of Flatbush, north of the Atlantic intersection, continuing across Flatbush to the edge of the transit improvements on the arena block...
Stage Two is the work along the south side of Atlantic Ave. from a location just west of the former 5th Avenue bed, running eastward to a location west of the 6th Avenue intersection.
o Stage Three is the area between Stages One and Two, across Flatbush Avenue and the top of the future new transit station improvements.
The installation of the new trunk water main in Stages Two and Three are complete. During the next two week period, the cleaning, pressurization, inspection and chlorination at Stage Three will continue. This work is intermittent and is coordinated with other trades in the area.Stage One work includes a large trunk main and smaller distribution main. The trunk main is installed. Work on the 20” distribution main began in late March and is expected to be completed by the end of April. The work is being done at night (10 pm to 6 am) and requires partial closure of the sidewalk and the curb lane of traffic during work hours. Pavement restoration will be done at that time. The bus stop at the west side of Flatbush, north of Pacific, has been removed by NYC DOT, per the approval of NYCTA.
• A full time laborer has been hired to manage dust suppression on Block 1129Anticipated Nighttime & Weekend Work
During this reporting period the following work will be performed either at night or during the weekend as noted. All work will be done pursuant to approved permits:
• Long Island Rail Road/Vanderbilt Yard/ Carlton Avenue Bridge:
o All weekdays all locations in the yard: 6:00AM to 3:00 AM
o Saturdays as required: 7:00 AM to 12:00 AM, as needed
o Sundays and Holidays as required: 8:00AM to 12:00AM, as needed
o The weekend work being performed could be in any area of the yard, and within MPT areas for which permits are on hand.
o The work hours will remain in place through the completion of the Carlton Avenue Bridge replacement, as needed.
• Arena Site:
o Arena weekend work will be scheduled no later than close of business on the preceding Thursday, where make-up work due to weather or other delays makes it necessary. Saturday work is expected to continue for this reporting period.
o Subject to receipt of permits, a second shift shall be continued throughout this reporting period, from 3 – 11 PM, Monday-Friday only. Also subject to receipt of permits, a third shift may be instituted during this reporting period, from 11 PM – 7 AM, Monday –Friday only.
o Hunt has been granted a permit to allow for deliveries from 6 AM to 7 AM to the Arena site from the dispatch center. This work allows for an additional hour of deliveries to take place outside the neighborhood peak traffic patterns and reduce congestion and interference with the local traffic.
o The second shift arena contractors are noted within the arena summary above
• NYC Transit Improvements:
o Temporary concrete road decking has now been removed. In the future, if any additional work is required it will be performed at night per DOT regulations.
Traffic will be restored every morning according to DOT stipulations.
Work related to the BMT structure and below grade concrete, steel and MEP work may be conducted on Saturdays, April 14th and April 21st during this reporting period.
• Arena Site Work:
Work along Flatbush Avenue as described above will occur during this reporting period during weeknight evening hours as described above under approved DOT stipulations.
• Block 1129 – staging area:
o Contractors conducting night work may have cause to enter and exit this area as it serves as a staging and material/equipment storage area.
Atlantic Yards Construction Alert 4-9-2012